Old September 3rd 03, 02:02 PM
John Finney

Default Winter Shoes (w/ Speedplay cleats)?

I forgot to mention that I have also tried large shoes with Smartwool
mountaineering socks. That solution is OK for about an hour, but I'm
looking for something warmer.

Another solution that works OK is apply capcaisin arthritis cream to
toes before riding -- the increased blood flow from the chemically
opened capillaries adds warmth. The problem is "fire feet" after the
ride -- it is very difficult to clean off the cream well enough to
stop the heat.

"Robin Hubert" wrote in message thlink.net...
"John Finney" wrote in message
m...
About a year (and one winter) has passed since I have seen any reviews
of winter cycling shoes. I am prepared to purchase the new model from
either Lake or Gaerne, but would like to hear pros/cons and other
recommendations from similarly cold-footed riders.

In particular, can anyone confirm that Lake or Gaerne winter shoes
can/cannot work with Speedplay (X/2) cleats?

For the record, the following have proven insufficient: plastic bread
bags, shoe covers, duct tape, neoprene socks, Gore-Tex socks, and
battery powered heated insoles (although those aren't bad). I have
Reynaud's syndrome, and if you have it too you know about cold toes...

On average my peripherals stay pretty warm. My approach to winter shoes
though has been to use a slightly larger (mostly wider) shoe. With a
medium-heavy set of wool socks I'm good to 20-something. Below that I
resort to booties.

It's nice to have some layering effect versus the big coat effect.