Old September 16th 12, 03:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default Recumbants world titles.

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:04:34 +1000
Rob wrote:
On 15/09/2012 5:05 PM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Sat, 15 Sep 2012 07:01:39 +0000 (UTC)
Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Sat, 15 Sep 2012 14:06:31 +1000
Rob wrote:
Just been reading this as a follow up to a magazine snippet.

And they only get a 4 mile acceleration zone, I'd be buggered by then
let alone breaking a record over the course.

They are using fairings but it is still impressive!

Oh, and this is the sort of front ring you have to be able to use:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10232...92573756698258

Fixed gearing ? Can't imagine starting off pulling that gear.

There will be gears, but just how they manage the gears you need to
start and the gears you need to pull 70mph I don't know... But it's
possible they have a couple of large rear cogs for starting then you
get to mash like crazy for a couple of miles.

Interesting tradeoffs for gears vs weight vs room in very tight
confines and long chain lengths.

I note that http://www.ihpva.org/rules.htm says if the record is
flying start then they can use pushers for the first 15m. The
Battle mountain records are flying start from what I can see. No idea
how fast a couple of pushers can get a fully faired bike up to in 15m
though.

Zebee