Old June 29th 20, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Government Bicycle Program News

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 10:54:08 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:
On 6/28/2020 8:26 PM, news18 wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 19:45:19 -0700, wrote:

On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 11:44:45 PM UTC-5, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 16:02:47 +0700, John B. wrote:

Rationalize it any way that you want to but my guess is that if the
state were to promulgate a helmet law, and enforce it, that the
numbers of bicyclists would remain about the same.

Or are you telling us that if you were forced to wear a helmet you
would give up bicycles?

Err, John, your head is in the clouds and you are looking at the area
of smallest impact.

First point is that over here, the biggest market for bicycles are kids
bicycles and adding the price of a compulsory helmet to the purchase on
the bicycle can start at an extra 25% cost on purchase. It has a big
impact for some families on weather kids get bicycles or not.

"over here" meaning Europe? Not the USA? In the USA I do not know if
kids bicycles or adult bicycles is the biggest market. For numbers or
dollars.

Australia and that was correct through the 80s, 90s ans 00's.

For kids one might assume number of bicycles sold is biggest. But, I
own nine bicycles. And most of the people I ride with own 2-3-4-5-6
bicycles or so. And many of the adults I ride with rotate through
bicycles every few years or so. So the four bikes they own change every
decade or so. Whereas a kid might have two or three bikes total over
their whole childhood as they grow in size.

YMarketMV, but I'll still bet the number of kids greater than number of
adult bicycle riders and I'll further bet that adult Granted the number
of adult and that very few adult bicyclists have multiple bicycles.

I know the details of the Australian market because in the 80's I was
involved in researching advertising for an event for the Australian
Bicentennial and I've been reading Australian bicycle trade magazines
ever since.

For dollars, I am sure the adult bicycle sales far surpass the total kid
bike sales.

You need to talk to various wholesalers. As i said, Your Market May Vary.

Adult bikes start at $1000

Not over here.

Not sure where Russell is located, but in the U.S. the mass market for
adult bicycles from bike shops is in bicycles priced $500 and under. Not
a lot of profit in those bicycles, but the high-priced bicycles, that
sell in much lower quantities, are what the shops depend on. During the
current bicycle shortage you can still buy the $1000+ models but for the
$500 or so models there's a long wait as shops wait for shipments, via
ship, from China.

I am in the middle of Iowa. I know the owner of the Trek bike shop in town but have never talked to him about where his shop earns its revenue. Expensive or cheap bikes, accessories, clothing, mechanical service, etc. That would probably be a fun talk. I ride with a group of adult bicyclists. Avid bicyclists I guess since we ride once or twice a week in the good weather months. They all have multiple bikes each. And NONE of them have $500 and under bikes. $1000 is the very cheapest bike anyone rides. Of course I realize the adult bicyclists I ride with may not represent adult bicyclists very well. We are all probably money hungry grubbing elitists with college degrees. The horror!!!!

Even on RAGBRAI, 10-20,000 person week long bicycle ride across Iowa, I would guess the average price for all bikes is well above $1000. You see very few cheap $2-300 bikes. Very few. Of course the 20,000 bike riders on RAGBRAI may not be representative of adult bicyclists because they are riding 400+ miles over 7 days. And you want a nice, expensive, bike to do that.