Old June 30th 20, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Government Bicycle Program News

On 6/28/2020 9:12 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 9:31:43 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/28/2020 11:19 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 7:34:07 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

There's no self-glorification in the work I do. My name didn't get
broadcast when discriminatory laws were repealed, when traffic lights
detected waiting bicyclists, when bike maps were published, etc.

Discriminatory laws? Like blacks had to ride at the back of a tandem?

I was surprised to find out that my village, like some others in Ohio,
had laws saying that a bicyclist must ride on a sidewalk if available;
that a bicyclist must walk the bike across any intersection with a
"through street," whatever that is; that no bicycle could be parked for
any amount of time at all without being locked, etc.

Those provisions and more were all in violation of Ohio law, but were on
the books until I got them removed about five years ago.

It's always good to do ordinance house cleaning, but it probably had no practical effect ...

Our police chief is very reasonable. He's quash any attempt by his cops
to enforce a stupid law. But that wasn't my worry.

My fear was that a motorist might be at fault in a car-bike crash, but
have a lawyer that found the ordinance requiring walking a bike across
any intersection with a "through street," or riding on a sidewalk if
available. IANAL, but it seemed to me that could hamper any effort to
collect damages.

When I brought the issue up, the village solicitor had a different
worry. He said in a sort of panicked voice "We're in violation of Ohio
Revised Code! We need to fix this as an emergency measure!" Village
Council repealed all the weird ordinances immediately.

--
- Frank Krygowski