Old October 4th 04, 04:06 AM
Blair P. Houghton

BringYouToLife wrote:
and if you can increase the power by 5 times, you can increase the
circumference of the main sprocket 5 times by increasing the diameter
of the main drive sprocket by (d*3.14=circumference). That is why
bigger gears turn slower, duh. what a moron you are, i can't believe
I'm even talking to you.

I think I should feel the same about you, given your
apparent confusions about angular velocity vs. the
tangential velocity of the edge of a rotating circle,
but maybe someone else will learn from what I say to you.

and as for wind resistance, if you were using the increased leverage
to haul things, that would not be a problem, i'm thinking of future
transportation after oil runs out. But if you wanted to go 50 or 60
mph, then you could add little things like motorcycle windshields,
which you can duck down behind, or rather make it into a narrow, small
car, more recumbant style.

The record for flat-surface pedalling on a bicycle is
over 150 mph, set on a bike with a very large chainwheel
and a very small cog, travelling behind an automobile
with a special fairing built on the back to surround the
front of the rider and shield him and his bike from all
wind effects.

Fairings also exist that are part of the bicycle and don't
require a separate vehicle. They look like short sections
of a wing stood on end, with the bike and rider inside.
Cyclists have gone over 60 mph in those. However,
they're useless in any sort of crosswind, and they're
useless unless you have a chase team to pick you up when
the inevitable crosswind knocks you onto ground.

Face it. When the oil is gone, we'll have either electric
cars powered by batteries charged with energy produced in
coal and nuke plants, or we'll be hooked on hydrogen.

--Blair
"And I might be over 25 mph."