Old May 21st 05, 03:40 PM
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
On Fri, 20 May 2005 17:12:16 -0500, Tony Belding
wrote:

I've noticed some tadpole trikes (like the Scarab/Trimuter) are
available in a "big wheel" version with a larger rear wheel. They
obvioulsy take up more space. . . I was just wonder what was the
reasoning behind that, what the advantages are presumed to be.
Smoother ride? Higher gear range?

I have had two of the popular small wheel trike's. Notice the word
had. I now ride either an Spitfire RS24 or a Windcheetah Supersport.

I find the gearing with 24" drive wheel to be just about perfect. I
can't spin out on the big ring and I can climb the mountains around
here . The ride is far better than the smaller wheel trike's delivered
and I like the handling better. But, ride quality and handling are as
much a function of the frame as the wheels, it is a whole package,

The WC delivers an unbelievable ride. It's 26" rear wheel and stock
gearing is pretty comparable to my DF road bike, which for me means
that unless I am heading down hill, or over some high speed rollers, I
use the middle ring, which will get me to 20 mph easily.. I am
prejudiced against 20" front wheels because one of those previously
not named trike's had them. The ride was horrible, little bumps and
holes in the pavement were made to seem very much larger, bump steer
and eyeball jarring ride were part and party to this now sold trike.
The WC has Moulton 16" wheels and defies all of my past experience, so
once again engineering a good frame seems to make all the difference

I've yet to have the WC on a big climb. he previous owner put a 24t
chain ring on.. it is amazing what kind of comments you get with such
a thing.. so there will be no problem on even the biggest mountain.
W/o that granny, I was concerned that a mountain drive might be in
order for this 26" wheel. I have had experience with the speeddrive
and loved the expanded range and only two chain rings, so this may
still happen if I decide to change to shorter than 170 cranks.

The 26" wheel gives you a huge tire selection, the 24" almost none.
The 20" are getting more selections, I went from a 20 x 1.x (small
thin tire) to a 20 x 1.5 or 1.75, I don't recall, and found the ride
over bad pavement was smoothed and the larger diameter of the fatter
tire helped the top end until the speed drive was installed.

Bottom line for me is large wheels delivers what I want in a trike.
The reason I own the two trikes I do is not specifically because of
the large wheel. It is because of the joystick steering. A subject for
a whole 'nother post.

Mike, everything you have to say about the Windcheetah is very interesting.
There has hardly ever been anything posted here on ARBR concerning the
Windcheetah, and yet we all know a little something about it from hear say
or perhaps having seen one (a rare sight to be sure). They are intriguing
trikes to say the least because of their many unique design and construction
details. Your take on the advantage of 16" front wheels over 20" front
wheels I had never heard before.

I would not mind hearing about the joystick steering if and when you can
find the time to give us your opinion of it. I would especially like to know
if it helps or hinders the bump steer you mention or the pedal steer which
is common to all tadpole trikes at speed to one degree or another.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota