Old March 5th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Almost bought the farm AGAIN

wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: Helmut Springer wrote:
:::::
::::: Simply not a question in the discussed scenario: either the driver
::::: is far away just seeing a vehicle's taillight and that vehicle
::::: shifting 1-2m to the left is no issue. Or the driver is nearby
::::: and sees the bicycle clearly in his headlights.
:::
::: I guess then that the OP didn't almost buy the farm as the driver
::: nearby, on the wrong side of the road, clearly saw him in her
::: headlights.
::
:: Strictly speaking, I think that's true. The OP didn't describe how
:: close the car actually came (at least, in the original post).

Well, he said "pretty close" and then started this thread! It's 5AM and
there a car coming right at you on the wrong side of the road, and it came
"pretty close." That gives me the impression that the driver simply didn't
see him although the drive had plenty of time to be aware of the road.

:: In fact, it sounded like it was pretty far away.

What is pretty far away might depend on whether one's life is in danger at
the moment!

:: Personally, I think
:: he was just sensitized because of his _actual_ close call earlier in
:: the week.

I think that is possible, honestly.

::
:: IOW, I think lots of posters are making a mountain out of a molehill.

That's a characteristic of usenet, IMO. I know I do that, whereas in RL I
wouldn't.

:: You and your bike need to be reliably seen at night. IOW, you needs
:: to be as noticeable as you are in the daylight. You don't need to
:: look like a supernova.

It's hard to think that you're be as noticable at night as in daylight
unless there is the light given off by a supernova to illuminate the
nighttime.

::
:: And no matter how many lumens you put out, you're going to have to
:: remain aware on the road, day or night.

True. He did mention that his eyes had not fully adjusted, so it would
probably a bad idea to be on the road under such conditions.