Old September 2nd 03, 12:36 PM
Trudi Marrapodi

Default Helmet Advice

In article , Mitch Haley wrote:

Trudi Marrapodi wrote:

How awful. Maybe she didn't have time to react at all when she went down.

I just assumed she was the typical young American who had such a protected
childhood that she never really learned how to fall. I'd like to see
all the little couch potatoes enrolled in karate or gymnastics classes
somewhere around 6-10 years of age. Another possibility is that she was
busy trying to unclip her shoe all the way down.

Well, I wasn't wearing clips...actually, I threw a sandal!

This stuff is frightening. I guess I was luckier than I thought.

Well, people have been falling down for thousands of years without
often dying, but there is a fair amount of energy involved. I think
both the examples I mentioned were mentionable because of their
rarity. I suspect that Emily's bones were old enough to be a lot more
fragile than they once were, and you do seem to go down hard and fast
when a dog takes out the front wheel.
The other incident was described to me as a new rider who forgot to
unclip when stopping. I've done the same, but both times it happened
to me I mainly landed on my hip and shoulder, although I lost some skin
on my knee and elbow the time I did it on tarmac.
Mitch.

How exactly *does* a dog take out the front wheel? Why would a dog just
run right into someone's bike? I know that's probably a dumb question,
but...
--
Trudi
"Closed Due to Blackout. Pray for the Chocolate!"