Old September 2nd 03, 11:10 PM
Mitch Haley

Default Helmet Advice

Trudi Marrapodi wrote:
How exactly *does* a dog take out the front wheel? Why would a dog just
run right into someone's bike? I know that's probably a dumb question,
but...

Chasing dogs are sometimes more sucessful than they intend to be. The
ones with herding instinct will try to push your front wheel if they
get the chance.
I've had a couple run into my back wheel with no real problem, you just
feel the bike twitch when the dog's shoulder bumps the tire. If they
try to run in front of you and hit the front wheel, the bike steers
out from under you on the side away from the dog, and you fall towards
the dog. I'm afraid of losing my front wheel (I once did a major face
plant when I broke a fork, had to wear a neck brace for a while and
still have the scar on my forehead) so I hit the brakes if it looks
like the dog can head me off.
Mitch.