Old October 8th 03, 01:42 AM

Default "The Stability of the Bicycle"

Ian L? writes:

There are no "maths", math is an aggregate concept and has no
plural... except in GB maybe.

I guess you don't have a bicycle with a QR front wheel so you can't
perform the simple experiment of turning the wheel at "walking
speed" to fell the strong gyroscopic effect caused by tilting the
wheel manually to the left and right.

Sorry Jobst - we don't have "math" downunder either, we have "maths"
as in Pure Maths, Applied Maths. "math" is an Americanism.

That's fine. Only one with a stiff upper lip would create such an
abbreviation that defies pronunciation. I suppose as long as it
remains on the KBD it doesn't tangle the tongue. The essence of a
lisp is the mix of 'th" and 's'. To make 'maths' from 'mathematics'
is an excessive linguistic rigourosity. I see we are more fortunate
in the USA with a bit of realism and where we do our 'math' without
linguistic twisting of the tongue.

Jobst Brandt