Old October 3rd 09, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Shimano MTB Shifter - Stripped Thread Repair?

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 13:04:37 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Oct 3, 9:32*am, Peter Cole wrote:
On Oct 2, 10:39*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:

Hello,

I have an 1992 vintage MTB that uses a Shimano Rapidfire brake
lever/integrated shifter. The threads in the shifter that hold it to
the brake lever have become stripped and no longer hold. The shifter
is Deore DX group. I believe that the shift lever is model ST-M070 *or
071 for the front der.

It appears that this was a suspected issue as Shimano appears to have
put some type of heilicoil liner inside of the shifter to strengthen
the bite in the shifter. I believe a piece of this broke when the
original locktite failed to release upon removal of the attaching
bolt. *I suspect that this problem may have been a common one with
these shifters.

Repair Options?

Replace it (with a new model), they're cheap.

Well, that's probably what Shimano had in mind...

But should we really pitch every little thing that goes bad, with no
thought of repair??

- Frank Krygowski

Dear Frank,

It's tempting to keep broken stuff with the vague hope that it might
fixable.

But junk quickly fills all available space.

Look around and see if you have a single empty drawer or shelf.

If you can't find one, you may enjoy reading this:
http://www.amazon.com/Clutters-Last-.../dp/0898791375

Cheers,

Carl Fogel