Old July 10th 20, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Weight of tamdem versus two solo bikes

On 7/10/2020 4:00 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
A question posed to the New Scientist's 4 July issue posits
that multi-seat bikes have a total weight advantage over
solo bikes (per seat), asking at what seat count the weight
advantage per seat fades away.

Initially, I thought the premise of the question mistaken,
but now I'm curious: Is it true that a modern tandem weighs
less than two solo bikes of the same total carrying capacity?

The illustration that accompanied the question is of a triple,
which I've never seen anywhere in the wild and was probably
chosen for its attention getting value. It's on page 56, alas
no weblink is offered.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

I don't know.

My old friend Lenny Preheim (Toga Bike NYC) owned a six
seater which he rented for parades and such. It was built
more like a steel bridge (including prestress arc shape)
and weighed like one too with motorcycle type rims and tires.

So I agree there's some limit beyond which the vehicle
weight per rider becomes deleterious to efficiency.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/