Old September 25th 03, 02:39 AM
Chris Neary

Default Group Riding Dynamics

Unless the groups is very fast climbing, a pace line on a hill is not of
much help, anyway. The groups I ride with usually break apart on hills as
well, and those who get up first wait for those who are slower. If
your abilities aren't too far apart it should not be a problem. I prefer
for everyone to climb at their own best pace. It gives the stronger
riders a challenge they may not feel on the flats in a moderate paceline,
and some bragging rights, but no one should feel pressured to climb beyond
their abilities or give up the ride. Usually, no one complains about a
re-grouping stop at the top of the hill.

Strong climbers can always push weaker riders up the hill.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh