Old June 12th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Which 9-Speed Cassette, chain, and should I do the rings also?

On Jun 12, 9:32 am, " wrote:
I'm switching my snow bike/beater from 8-speed to 9-speed. I don't
want to spend a lot of money on this, but hear bad things about the
nashbar & performance house brand cassettes. So, I'm going to have to
spend over $20 on the cassette. O.K.

How much more?
The Shimano M580 looks like a nice unit, but it's around $50. I'd
like to avoid spending that.
The SRAM PG-950 is mighty tempting @ $30. Then again, the PG-970
The Shimano Nexave & Deore are both $32. How do they compare to each
other & the PG-950.
Finally, the SRAM PG-970 looks good @ $40. Is it worth the extra $10
over the 950? If I get to spending $40 on this would I be notably
better off spending the $50 on the M580?*

The chain: I'd like to spend under $20. Shimano or KMC? The place
I'll be ordering from has both in stock. They don't have any SRAM
chains, and I don't want to spend over $20 on a chain for this
particular bike. Still, I hear great things about powerlinks & the
SRAM chains. Am I really missing the boat if I don't go SRAM w/ the
chain? I could buy one locally, but it'd be over 150% of my target
price.

Are you getting new shifters or using friction? Otherwise still with 8
spd, it's cheaper as well. SRAM
PG-830 should cost around $20.

I like SRAM chains, but KMC stuff is pretty nice these days, and
cheap. Both my bikes run KMC chains. Shouldn't run more than a tenner
for a 7/8spd chain.

I very much doubt your chainrings are worn out. They last a very long
time.

$30 gets you on the road.