Old June 7th 19, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Protecting yourself

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 13:29:11 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 12:48:48 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/6/2019 8:54 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 06.06.2019 um 14:14 schrieb Duane:

You can listen or talk on a radio without looking at it.* Same with a
phone.** Especially if you have some hands free device as most cars
do now.
But you can’t text without looking at it.

Well actually you can send text by voice using Siri on iPhone and
there's probably some app that reads it.

Siri can do that as well
https://www.dummies.com/consumer-ele...r-texts-aloud/
(and with the appropriate in-car integration, without needing to touch
the home button).

I have sat in a car as a passenger when the driver was texted by his
wife and sent an answer via Siri.* Needed a few repetitions to get the
right text but still simpler than ringing her to pass the estimated
arrival time.

And it's now so important to tell one's arrival time?

I can accept it may be important in some few instances- perhaps "I'll be
there before the baby is born!"

But from certain friends, I now get texts saying "We're almost there,
see you in five minutes." That's over-communication. We shouldn't need
minute by minute reports.

--
- Frank Krygowski

If you're going to waiting outside for someone it's kind of nice to know their ETA when the weather isn't nice.

Cheers

Since ETA actually means Estimated Time of Arrival you could simply
tell someone, "I'll see you in front of the Post Office at 09:00
tomorrow. If its snowing I might be a little late.
--
cheers,

John B.