Old April 8th 20, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default "Confusion reigns as states reverse course on 'essential' statusfor bike shops"

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 11:26:47 AM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 11:01:13 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

Around here they are ONLY testing people with a dry cough and
high fevers. Their positive rates are nearly 100%.

Where is around here?

There are numerous dashboards and web sites that track the test
numbers. For example, Santa Clara:
https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/DiseaseInformation/novel-coronavirus/Pages/dashboard.aspx
Santa Cruz:
http://www.santacruzhealth.org/coronavirus/
and the COVID Tracking Project:
https://covidtracking.com
https://covidtracking.com/data/state/california

Most states are showing very low positive test results. Please
retract your blanked statement unless you have some proof that it's
correct. Otherwise, you're contributing to the general misinformation
which seems to plague the pandemic.

In other places such a the middle-of-nowhere Utah the positive
rate would probably be close to zero.

Well, let's see:
https://covidtracking.com/data/state/utah
1,738 / 34,647 = 5% positive
Ok, you have one correct.

Where ever they have a high testing rate they have a low number
of positives.

Really? New York seems to be getting the bulk of the testing kits,
since that's where the biggest problems are located.

138,863 / 340,058 = 40.8% positive

Well, you can toss a coin to decide if that's a high or low number of
positives. With all the alleged pre-selection for those who exhibit
symptoms, I would expect NY to show much higher percentage positives.

This does NOT mean that they have not been exposed to the virus. It
means that their bodies immune systems reacted rapidly enough to
destroy the virus before it could infect their bodies. This is
the same thing with vaccinated flu people. Not having testing
positive does NOT mean having been exposed. The Covid-19 is very
similar to one of the rhino viruses that cause the common cold.

Amazing. There's enough truth in that paragraph to make it look
correct, but your conclusion (Not having testing positive does NOT
mean having been exposed) makes no sense.

Without very widespread testing (also with a test that can test
for people that HAD the symptomless infection and gotten over it)
we are doing nothing but shooting at stars.

Other than social distancing and travel restrictions, testing is the
only weapon we have at this time. Antibody blood testing will show if
there has been a previous infection:
https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/04/cdc-launches-studies-to-get-more-precise-count-of-undetected-covid-19-cases/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Alameda County. And I can see that there's no use in carrying this on any further since you cannot interpret a negative sentence with a positive verb being incorrectly entered.

Twiddle off and play your games with John and Jay. You're worthy of them.