Old September 17th 13, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

Default Roof or towbar

"Bertie Wooster" wrote in message
We have just made my selection for a replacement car for our V reg
Peugeot 406, which I bought second hand just under 10 years ago.

The 406 is beginning to fall to pieces - with the air conditioning
broken, the 12v power socket broken, the remote control door lock
broken and locking and unlocking the car can only be performed
passenger side; and to top it all the nearside wing mirror glass was
broken through a misjudged reversing manoeuvre by my wife, but I have
managed to gaffer tape a replacement glass into place for our
forthcoming trip to France.

Our new car will be a 13 month old Peugeot 5008 MPV, delivery in two
weeks, after we return from the Loire Valley in our dilapidated 406.

I have a roof mounted tandem carrier which is fine, and a rear end
bicycle rack which I won't want to use on the new car. What is better
for transporting bicycles (other than tandems), roof carriers or
towbar carriers?

I'd use the roof, it's out of the way and won't obscure your rear view.
Don't know if it adds enough (anything?) to your fuel consumption to worry
about but at least when you go on a long trip and need to pull over to get
something quickly out of the boot, you don't have to bugger around taking a
bike off before you can open the tailgate. Plus it doesn't add anything to
your length, so you can reverse into parking spaces etc. (You, not your
wife, it's a new car). I've never used one but I imagine it's also easier
and quicker to attach and detach a roof-carrier than a rear one, and they
look kinder to the paintwork too. Maybe it depends how often you're going to
be carrying your bike.