Old December 12th 19, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Kid's next bike after 20"?

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 1:20:21 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 12/11/2019 3:15 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Bad news, Tom. Portland is not on the coast. The girls were about 80 miles short of crossing the entire continent. They'll have to start over.

While they didn't cross the entire continent, perhaps they dipped their
wheels into the Columbia River. Close enough. Or perhaps they really did
ride all the way to the Pacific.

Tom says they started in Astoria, which is still not on the coast, but if his wife and kids were on the standard Bikecentennial route, they would have cut over to the coast, gone south and then cut inland south of Tillamook. I came up from SF and rode entirely on the coast up to Florence and then cut inland -- over the spectacular McKenzie Pass and through central Oregon.

You could start the Bikecentennial route from Astoria or scenic Florence, former home of "Lawrence of Florence," a now forgotten roadside camel attraction at the sand dunes. https://traveloregon.com/things-to-d...-oregon-dunes/ I encountered Lawrence on a later ride down the coast with my wife and got the obligatory camel picture. Camels are more fun than the ubiquitous and ornery Roosevelt Elk. https://www.hcn.org/articles/wildlif...ns-north-coast

-- Jay Beattie.