Old December 13th 19, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Kid's next bike after 20"?

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 7:28:09 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 7:12:26 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 3:15:05 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 1:56:22 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 5:23:52 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 12/10/2019 3:23 PM, Chalo wrote:
sms wrote:

Personally, if I were him, I'd buy a used kid's road bike [...]

I think you're not remembering what being a kid is like, and also not observing the way kids are.

Road bikes (as in drop bar bikes) don't suit the vast majority of adults, let alone children.

No, I didn't mean to imply drop bars. I meant to imply no suspension
fork, road tires, and proper handlebars, sometimes called cafe bars or
granny bars.

The 24" wheeled Mixte that my neighbor's daughter has is more like what
I was thinking about
https://jetimages.jetcdn.net/md5/05244bdc473519ec3f17373b464f86a8. I
don't know what possessed Schwinn to offer such an expensive to produce
bicycle for Walmart.

I started all three daughters on normal road bikes. Two of them ended up racing and one got second or third (can't remember which) at the Jr. Nationals. They also put their rear wheels in the water in Portland and their front wheels in the water in the Atlantic after crossing the entire continent - three daughters and their mother.

Never sell people short and think that they can't grasp the use of the most complex bicycle.

Bad news, Tom. Portland is not on the coast. The girls were about 80 miles short of crossing the entire continent. They'll have to start over..

I bought a lot of bikes for my son when he was a kid, and he hardly rode any of them. He didn't start riding seriously until he went off to college, and they he went nuts. https://attheu.utah.edu/home-page/be...alt-lake-city/ He's the lug in the middle, back when he was a young, skinny roadie. Years later, he's a gym rat first and cyclist second, and at 6'6" he's starting to look more like Ivan Drago than Ivan Basso. Anyway, kids have to want to ride. Foisting nice bikes upon them is a waste of money.

-- Jay Beattie.

Bad mews Jay, a 13 year old road coast to coast and you didn't. So argue that my using the town of Portland instead of Astoria which most people have never heard of makes you want to argue. But then from your normal postings what doesn't?

You're so cranky! It was a joke.

BTW, I have ridden coast to coast and border to border N-S (and into Canada), although I wasn't 13. My trans-AM ride started in SF, so I threw in another 600-700 miles and also did a jog down to Knoxville to see some friends and then a jog up the east coast to NYC to see my sister, although much of that was in a car.

-- Jay Beattie.

I wouldn't be so "cranky" if every single statement wasn't being assaulted. Exactly how moronic can Frank be to question me about being hit in the head with a tree limb below normal height in the bike lane? While I can understand Chalo not knowing science and hence being and easy target for the constant barrage of climate changeism, he , like all of this group will not actually believe real science and instead prefer rumor and myth. I have entirely stopped reading anything that John posts and most of the rest of the group have me kill filed so there is no interaction there.