Old August 17th 18, 12:35 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein[_2_]

Default 'Death by dangerous cycling' law considered

In uk.politics.misc Ophelia wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

Yes, I agree! Many times when I have been stopped at traffic
lights, I see cyclists continuing straight through!!!

QED. This belief that cyclists 'don't stop at red lights' (or that
they fail to stop at red lights at a rate greater than car drivers) is
so absolutely and firmly entrenched in the car driver's psyche, that it
has been elevated almost to the level of absolute truth. The sun rises
in the east. Water boils at 100° C. 1+1=2. Cyclists don't stop at
red lights.

Except that it isn't true. It's quite fascinating - not only that so
many people can believe so fervently in a falsehood that is becomes
almost like a religion. But equally fascinating is that public policy
can be decided based on this complete fantasy.

Except that it is true. At the moment, Whitechapel station has a
temporary entrance opposite a traffic-light pedestrian crossing across
the A11. A while ago, I had occasion to cross the road there four times
a week for a month or so.

More than half the time, at least one cyclist, sometimes half a dozen
would cross the crossing at about 20mph while I was walking across. I
never looked round, so I don't know if the same was happening the other
side of the road, but I see no reason to assume otherwise.

On the other side of the road from Whitechapel station is the Royal
London Hospital, so a fair percentage of the pedestrians were not too
steady on their feet. I never actually saw a collision, nor do I know
how many of the bicycles had brakes, but the riders were universally
what my daughter, a cyclist herself, calls 'feral' cyclists. Big
helmets, heads down, oblivious to the world around them...

So don't lie.

Agreed! He can dream all he likes but I do see them and they are always
as you describe - Ferals!

Remarkable! This is fascinating! Do you see unicorns prancing around
the fields too?

This really is fascinating. Two people who if asked would no doubt
consider themselves sane, rational and intelligent, but both absolutely
convinced of the prevalance of a phenomonem which in fact is extremely
rare. And both of them completely immune to reason. The capacity for
delusion is almost awe-inspiring.

One of them a racist, little Engländ UKIP voter and the other .. Joe? Do
you vote UKIP ?

Y.
--
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein
'The fact that there are these refugees is the direct consequence of