Old November 8th 04, 06:36 PM
DB Rea

On 31 Oct 2004 14:39:36 EST, wrote:

This morning my nice new thorn resistant tube blew out through the
sidewall just above the bead of bad tire. Upon examination it looks
like just an 1/8 inch tear in the tube. I read some place that
patching a tube after a sidewall blow out is not a good idea since the
surrounding rubber often has undergone extreme stress. There is no
sign of chafing just the small tear from the burst. Anyone have any
luck patching this kind of blow out?

Well yes and no. When I was a cheapskate college kid I "patched" a
sidewall blowout with coaches tape, a.k.a. ankle tape. I just wrapped it
around the tire, the rim, and everything. Ugly and out of balance, but
this was a campus bike and it kept me going in an emergency kind of way
until I had enough cash for an overpriced shiny new Schwinn tire from the
local bleed'em-dry guy.
Not a recommended permanent repair, but a fair idea for a "finish-the-ride"
kit.

cheers-

Dan Rea