Old October 22nd 20, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Handlebar bags

On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 10:14:35 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 22 October 2020 12:25:10 UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op donderdag 22 oktober 2020 om 17:28:04 UTC+2 schreef Frank Krygowski:
Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not convinced what is claimed.

Lou

I fail to see how a non-aero handlebar bag that goes from the top of the front wheel to the handlebar can be described as acting like a fairing. I think that it'd create drag not reduce it.

He also says that handling is better with a handlebar bag than it'd be with the same size bag behind or attached to the saddle. I disagree with that too based on my experiences.

Cheers

You and Lou have good reason to be doubtful. The load in the bag continually shifts around and steers the bike around quite a bit. I don't remember it increasing my downhill speed by any noticeable amount so the fairing crap is a myth.