Old February 24th 04, 05:33 PM
Luigi de Guzman

Default For all Virginia cyclists: support SB 252 and SB 101

This is what I wrote to my state delegate. It's rather too long, I
guess, but it needed saying.

***

Dear Mr. Petersen:

I write to you as a flagrant and frequent violator of the law. As a
cyclist here in Fairfax, I often ride along Old Lee Highway, which has
a parallel bicycle path. I never use it, preferring instead to use
the road itself. The path is dangerous, setting fast, downhill
bicycle traffic against cars wanting to pull out onto Old Lee
Highway--cars don't see or expect traffic to be approaching them so
quickly from the wrong side. This is unacceptable, so I ride on the
road. My action, however, is illegal under the present law, which
compels me to use the parallel bicycle path when provided. SB 252
would permit me to ride safely, responsibly, and legally.

Moreover, the other provisions of SB 252 would bring the Commonwealth
in line with best practice in terms of bicycle safety legislation.
The provisions regarding lighting and the permitting the use of either
arm to signal turns are already common practice among responsible
cyclists everywhere in the world; SB 252 would remove a loophole that
motorists can exploit to escape culpability for colliding with and
injuring cyclists. They will no longer be able to hide their failure
to determine the intentions of a cyclist wishing to turn behind the
assertion that the signal was not made with the 'proper' arm, as the
present law would define it. Passage and enforcement of the minimum
overtaking distance provision would make life much easier for
law-abiding cyclists--cars and trucks overtaking us too closely are at
best a major annoyance and at worst a life-theatening issue. Being
struck by a side-mirror of a vehicle moving (as most do) above the
posted speed limit is very bad for one's health, indeed.

SB 101 must be passed; it is ludicrous for the General Assembly to
reject it. Cars *must* stop for *any* pedestrian in a crosswalk,
period. To do otherwise places the mere convenience of motorists
above the safety of pedestrians. Is the few minutes' delay that such
a stop would cause worth the life of a pedestrian--especially when
that pedestrian may be a child on his way to school?

Your support for these two bills would mean a great deal to me,
personally, and to cyclists living in and visiting the Commonwealth.

Sincerely,

TLP de Guzman
Fairfax City