Old July 7th 04, 02:29 PM
Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)

Default 9sp crankset with 8sp everythingelse - will it work?

Hi again,

I need to buy a new crankset. It looks like there's far more choice in
9sp-compatible cranksets than 8sp cranksets. But all the componentry on my
bike is currently 8sp. So - will a 9sp crankset work on my 8sp derailleurs,
chain and cassette?

I've done some research on the web and I'm now a little confused. Some
people say a 9sp crankset will work just fine. Others say the 9sp crankset
have reprofiled pick-up teeth that won't work with an 8sp chain so you have
to change the chain to a 9sp chain. The 9sp chain will work fine with the
8sp cassette and derailleurs. But I'm not keen on the idea of a 9sp chain
because I've read that 9sp components wear down up to twice as fast as 8sp
components.

Help!

I currently have my eye on an M572 LX splined 9sp crankset and an XT ES71
splined BB.

Thanks,
Jack