Old October 11th 18, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default small plastic washers on wires

On 10/11/2018 12:21 PM, Mark J. wrote:
On 10/11/2018 12:07 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
On my racer, there is a wire under the
top tube. On this wire hangs three very small
plastic washers. Unless someone forgot to
remove them, the only thing I can think of is
they are there to prevent the wire from
rattling against the tube. Not that that would
happen very often for a stiff wire, right?

I'm guessing you mean a brake /cable/ runs under your top
tube. ("Cable" is the common term for brake and
derailleur-control wires.)

If the washers are soft and rubbery, vaguely doughnut/torus
shaped, yes, these are commonly used to keep cable from
rattling. If the length of exposed cable is long, it
doesn't take so very much bouncing of the bike to get the
cable to bounce against the frame tubes. Brake cables
aren't all that stiff.

Mark J.

You're not wrong but we have found that using 'wire' and
'casing' specifically, separate from 'brake cable system' or
'gear cable system', helps when talking with consumers.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/