Old September 1st 14, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Melbourne, eat your heart out: "Hunter could be the cyclingcapital of Australia"

On Monday, September 1, 2014 4:00:47 AM UTC+1, Clive George wrote:
And parking in central Cambridge is an utter nightmare.

I said to an elderly but still upright don, "Lion Yard consumed my afternoon." He said, "That's why the bootmaker's is across the street from the front gate [of King's College}. Order some Harrow boots and walk, my boy, walk."

And of course it's now well established tradition, which is probably the
most important thing.

That the underlying correct attitude and acceptance is in place seems to me a prime indicator of the success of any formal bicycling scheme. Cambridge is an excellent example.

What I'd like to know is what went right in York, a city I don't know, which also is said to have good cycling. Was it the university, or was it some other factor that cyclists elsewhere could usefully copy or aspire to?

Andre Jute