Old September 2nd 14, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Melbourne, eat your heart out: "Hunter could be the cycling capitalof Australia"

On 9/1/2014 11:01 PM, James wrote:

I caught a young gun at a pedestrian light last week. I got going again
after the lights went green and thought I was going ok at about
35-38km/h. He had a backpack on, so I didn't expect him to blast by me
at near 45km/h to do a turn... but he did.

I was fine sitting on, but wasn't looking forward to doing a comparable
turn of pace. Then lady luck smiled on me. As he stood up for a small
rise, a banana leapt from his back pack and he stopped to go back for it.

I kept going and put some distance between us. Thankfully he never
caught up to me.

I led a ride last week that had a 1.5 mile steep hill. (Well, maybe 6%
grade.) At my age, I decided it was best to just take it easy - or at
least, easier than I used to. One guy motored past me, but downshifted
when the grade increased. It was pleasant to grind on past him, and
pleasant to be 3rd to the top out of about a dozen riders.

But there's no doubt I'm slowing significantly. I can remember helping
one rider, years ago, by pushing her up a long hill. She's now well
known as an excellent climber. It's about time for her to return that
favor!

(I'm tempted to remove my 3 pound Carradice bag for the hilly rides. I
think it might get my bike's weight down to 30 pounds.)

--
- Frank Krygowski