Old April 9th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default What's The Best Way to Sell a Custom Road Bike? EBay? Craigslist? VeloNews?

In article .com,
"Fitz" wrote:

Greetings,

I have a custom road bike built by The Guru (for those of us over
6'5"), Lennard Zinn (www.zinncycles.com). I spent over $5K for the
bike but a car crash has effectively ended my cycling days.

Sorry to hear that! Ouch.

I would like opinions on how to sell this bike in order to make the
most money I can for it. What are you folks utilizing to sell your
bikes to the "target demographic?"

I am realistic to know that I'll never get back what I've invested,
but I don't want to lose my shorts. . .

You're pretty much going to lose your shorts. Bikes just don't retain
resale value very well. You might as well resign yourself to that. If
you get half of what you paid for it, you'll have done well.

I'd try Craigslist first to sell locally and avoid shipping, plus the
buyer can easily pay cash. eBay's fees can mount up quickly and can
cost you a bundle if your item sells for $1000 or more. VeloNews might
be a good option since its readers are aware of and typically revere
Zinn.