Old December 6th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Default Nature Valley Girl

Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Bob Schwartz wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
So are you saying Connie Carpenter made no money in cycling or that she was an Olympic
fraud? Take your pick, O-CarlWan.
Amateur? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what
you think it means. Dumbass.

Bob Schwartz
Dude,

Lance Armstrong and Jonas Carney delayed turning pro until 1993 because they both didn't
want to make themselves ineligible for the '92 Barcelona Games. What definition of amateur
are you using?

Back in 1984, it was a foregone conclusion that amateur status meant you did not make any
money from your sport. To do so was to risk being made ineligible for the Olympics. What
other definition is there?

Magilla

Says who? And what difference was there between pre'84 and post'84? Name
one rider who was deeked from the Olympics for receiving money?

A lot of athletes were threatened with a ban if they received any money....athletes like Steve
Prefontaine.

Magilla

What bike races did he do?

Prefontaine wasn't allowed to receive any prize money or appearance fee or he would have been DQ'ed
from the Olympic Team as per thhe AAU rules back in the mid 1970's going into Montreal, right
before Pre rolled it. I don't see how the rules were different for cyclists.

Magilla