Thread: John.
View Single Post
Old March 5th 21, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default John.

On Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 3:37:15 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2021 5:17 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
Hey John, I saw a picture of a heavy bomber circa just post WW II that had 6 reverse runny internal combustion engines and four jets on near the ends of the wings. From the serial number on the fuselage they had to have made at least 100 of these things but I've never heard of them before. Do you know what these things were? They appeared to have forward and aft gunnery positions So it had to have an extremely long range where they couldn't keep fighter cover.

Easy.
Convair B.36. Nothing else like it.

I'd like to know why they chose pusher props rather than he more standard approach. They were building some rather spectacular planes then. The B58 was a supersonic bomber with a 3000 mile range. This was unbelievable. They built a hundred of those things but they seemed to go out of service really fast so I guess it simply could not handle the stresses of supersonic flight. Being a delta wing, it was very stable in all conditions and I suppose it qualified as a medium bomber though with nuclear capability. **** and git as it were. That B36 had to have superior altitude and speed on the B50 that John worked with.
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home