Old May 11th 09, 12:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Key[_5_]

Default Uncomfortable riding position

Brown Cat wrote:
I have a road bike with dropped handle bars. I feel fairly comfortable on
it and it feels most comfortable to position my hands on the corner of
the handle bars. I do sometimes place them at the side but not for long
periods of time, it feels a little bit like I'm stretching. I don't put
them on the top because I have the brackets for my lights there.

I've noticed that when I do push ups it's very painful on the palms of my
hands and I think the way I ride my bike probably had caused this.

Could the way I position my hands suggest that the size of the bike is
wrong or something needs adjusting?

Roadies normally ride with their hands on the rubber hoods of the brake
levers. It sounds like your handlebars are too far forward for you to do
this comfortably, so it may be worth replacing the handlebar stem with a
shorter one, to bring the bars nearer to you.