Old December 12th 19, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default In praise of Brooks saddles

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 10:03:24 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 20:25:45 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 12/11/2019 8:13 PM, John B. wrote:

They used to have "swap meets" like this in the U.S. when I lived
there. Usually at Drive-in Theaters. Bring your "stuff" rent a space
and do business in cash. I remember there was a young couple, had a
Volkswagen bus, that made and sold silk screened tee shirts. I got to
talking with them and this was their "business" making tee shirts and
selling them for cash at swap meets. I wanted to ask them what they
listed as their income on their tax statement, but being the polite
gentleman that I am, refrained from doing so :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Which kept those $5 shirts from becoming $10 shirts.

Probably :-)

I always wonder what happens to people like that. I would guess that
it is really a lot of work to be continually silk screening tee
shirts, driving around the state to go to swap meets, sleeping in the
car to save money, eating at McDonalds. Do they "grow up" and get a
regular job? Or are they now stubbing around with a cane selling tee
shirts door to door?

My wife used to like going to arts and crafts shows. I didn't like it much,
so I compromised by promising to go to one per year. Any others she could
attend with friends.

Anyway, at one of them a long time ago I talked to a guy selling jewelry he
made. As I recall, he said he worked a few months in the winter making his
goods, then attended the craft fairs for a few more months. The rest of the
year was his vacation time.

Of course, I don't know what happened to the guy in later years. Do you get a
decent retirement from a career like that?

- Frank Krygowski

Probably not, but if you’re lucky you can “work” until you die and still
enjoy it. What would he need to retire from?