Old January 28th 07, 08:06 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
chalo colina

Default BikeE Bad?

Jeff Grippe wrote:

In an earlier thread, someone referred to the BikeE as uncomfortable.

My few days of getting around an unfamiliar town on a rental BikeE
were pretty educational. Physically, I found the thing to be just
fine, better in fact than any upright bike I could have rented would
have been. I found the thing intensely uncomfortable, though, because
of its nasty and unstable steering qualities-- It required a very
attentive yet restrained touch at the bars to keep it from flipping
its front tire sideways and departing from underneath me. It was
easily as treacherous as any of the many long-forked, small-front-
wheeled homebrew choppers I've tried, if not more so. It was mentally
and physically exhausting to cope with the BikeE's tightrope handling;
I'll take a narrow hard saddle over that, any day.

I suggest you consider something with a more conventional head angle
of 68 to 76 degrees and a normal amount of rake and trail for its
wheel size. These values have been arrived at through refinement over
the course of a century or more, and they should be changed sparingly
and with a clear sense of the implications and tradeoffs.

Chalo