Old January 22nd 20, 08:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric Pozharski

Default Sad helmet incident

with Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 19:05:04 +0200, Eric Pozharski
wrote:
with Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 10:51:25 +0200, Eric Pozharski
wrote:
with Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

So, what is an RBT reading geek to do? If helmets are not going
to disappear, and many people seem to want helmets, then at least
make them better, more functional, more usable, cheaper, and in
this case, less dangerous to small children. Minor tweaks to the
design of a chin strap are not going to affect global use and
sales of helmets, but it might save the lives of a few kids.
No way. Changes as such would draw on profits.
I suspect you don't understand how most product cycles operate.

Please rest assured I enjoy your writings, no offence. But with this
one there's one little problem: there's no fast-release straps (for
kids or otherwise) in objective reality. Why so? Because profits?

Failure to exist is not evidence of failure.

Well, I can't agree more. Please suggest how long should we wait for
evidence of success.

*SKIP* [[ Seriously? I'm bloody cyclist -- you can't shame me. ]]

How many 4 year old must be sacrificed to the gods of profit before a
truly safe bicycle helmet can be profitably produced?

Well, that's complicated. Intuitively, more sacrifice should close the
gap to start a panic. But! Panic is tricky thing, it might result in
screw-MHL reaction.