Old May 22nd 21, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey[_2_]

Default Time to bring back Road Tax

On Tue, 18 May 2021 17:41:04 +0100, Mike Collins wrote:

A typical modern car with all the 'safety' features weight 2 tonnes. Add in 5 typical motorists at 200kg each and compare it to a typical 10 kg bicycle. Using the 4th power of axle loading rule if cyclists pay 1p in annual 'Road Tax' motorists will need to pay £8.1 Billion each and that is before we take into account motorways and road space.

More like 1 tonne for a normal hatchback. And be more sensible and say the motorists weigh 100kg.

So, one cyclist and one bicycle = 75kg.
5 motorists and one car = 1500kg = 300kg each.

So the motorists are placing 4 times the weight on the road as the cyclist, not 810,000,000,000 times the weight.

And we already have road tax. I don't care what label you put on it, motorists pay to use the road, that is a tax on the road.