Old May 22nd 21, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Time to bring back Road Tax

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 8:05:38 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 22 May 2021 18:46:32 +0100, wrote:

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 5:47:42 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:

And we already have road tax. I don't care what label you put on it, motorists pay to use the road, that is a tax on the road.

What do the drivers of low polluting cars, like electric cars pay in VED?

Nowt. But that's just a temporary encouragement to lower pollution. Once we all have electric cars, the tax will be re-added (at a much higher rate as there won't be petrol duty), there will be a shortage of electricity so prices of that will skyrocket, there will be a shortage of lithium (which I think they still can't recycle properly) so the batteries will be phenominally expensive. Virtually nobody will be able to afford a car, and your household electricity will also be way too expensive.

Remember the bloke in Hull who has roof solar panels to charge his electric car?
He pays nothing in VED or electricity.