Old November 30th 15, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jakob Krieger

Default AG: Fuel: bananas

- Joy Beeson / Sun, 29 Nov 2015 05:26:08 +0100

Bananas are the canonical bike fuel. They are low in water and
therefore high in other nutrients, but don't make you thirsty.

Bananas have quite some 'instant fuel' (glucose) as well as
'long-term fuel' (starch), plus minerals. And they are low in fat
and acid (so they don't distract energy for digestion).

Bananas are so mild in flavor that many of the people who don't like
them can eat them anyway.

That's mainly because they are low in acid and high in starch
(like potatoes - cooked or baked ones, not deep-fried).

When I go on a tour (by bike, boat, or feet) I indeed prefer
baked potatoes
[wash them, don't peel, cook for 5 minutes or not,
then into the stove, high temperature, wait until the peel
cracks open -- fresh small ones of a waxy type are best].

Fuel #1 is of course water.

Tour cycling for an hour takes about 100 »calories« extra,
that's TWO chocolate cookies. No need for additional food.

Eating additional meals because of sports activity makes you fat.
Proof: Look at the people in a restaurant connected to a tennis
or squash ground. They are damn fat.

Water is important. I use a stainless-steel bottle, not plastics
or aluminium alloy. Ok to add some salt (sweat tastes salty, so
sweating means losing salt). A few grains are enough.

Most important, bananas are available at all seasons of the year, and
almost every food store sells bananas -- I've even seen them for sale
in gas stations -- so it's quite safe to get habituated to them.

Bananas are preferred monkey food. Our organism is not far away from
monkeys' organisms. So the choice is good
(proof by non-lethal animal test).

In fact, the biggest mistake we humans make is eating too much
at a time. A burger is ok if one likes burgers.
But a king or mc menue definitely is an over-dose.

jk

--
no sig