Old August 11th 20, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

Default Near Miss of the Day 453: Punishment pass on two-abreast cyclists

On 17:21 10 Aug 2020, Simon Mason said:

What an ignorant tosser this driver is.
QUOTE:
One of the most common complaints against cyclists that you will read on
social media or in the comments section of local newspapers is that they
are riding two abreast, even though that is perfectly legal - but it
does seem to have become embedded among a certain section of the
motoring public that it's not allowed, and that riders doing so are
breaking the rules.

Which leads us up to this punishment pass by a van driver on a pair of
cyclists riding side by side on the A4 between Chippenham and Bath -
what's more, one made just as the riders were moving into single file to
allow for a safe overtake.

The video was shot by road.cc reader Jody, who said: "We were chatting
while keeping a keen eye out for cars behind, ready to drop into single
line at the first thought of hindrance to anyone really.

"That wasn’t enough for one Traffic van diver however, who chose to
hold their high speed pass with a horn blast throughout, as they skimmed
their 2-tonne-at-least vehicle past my shoulder, in - I guess -
punishment, for the perceived infraction.

"On the plus side, the view over the hill was beautiful. Angry driver
was probably chewing their steering wheel at that point, so may have
missed it."

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...st-punishment-
pass-276327

I was watching the video and waiting to see this "punishment pass" when it
ended.

All I saw was a van driver overtake some cyclists and make a courtesy toot
to warn them of his presence. Cyclist are prone to wobbling and also not
knowing what is behind them.

In continental countries such toots to announce a vehicles's presence is
very common.