Old August 30th 11, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Preserving Sheldon's legacy

On 8/30/2011 6:23 AM, DirtRoadie wrote:

Sheldon was alway knowledgeable, articulate and very informative, but
also had little difficulty in acknowledging that were sometimes
diverging points of view on some subjects.

That was Sheldon's gift, he could explain why someone was doing
something that was not the best thing to do (aka doing something really
dumb), without getting the person defensive and upset. I recall his page
on chain cleaning and lubrication, where his advice is still spot-on,
and he gently explains why waxing is a bad idea (without being quite as
direct as some of us might be).

Is there actually a problem with whoever took over maintenance of his
site making changes that are a problem? His legacy appears to be being
preserved. Most of the information there is still relevant, though some
has become a bit outdated. I.e., while the Harris Cyclery section
features many new LED lights for dynamos, Sheldon is concerned with how
to prevent halogen bulb burnout. It would not hurt for someone to add a
section on LED headlights, but there are plenty of other places to find
this information so it's not really necessary.

Personally I was very worried that some problem people would gain
control of his site and change it to suit their own agenda. I thought of
those people when I read his statement on the site regarding the eagle
on his helmet http://sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html. I know there are
people that not only despise Bell, but didn't like the fact that an icon
like Sheldon did not buy into their junk science.