Old August 13th 20, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Steel Fork

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 1:03:08 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 4:57:09 PM UTC+2, wrote:
Given I have not road a steel folk I believe since my Schwinn Traveler I bought in 1991 ( I think it was steel), how do they compare to CF? My sense is they must not ride a decent or more would be used. Also are steel folks safer than CF? I assume they are more flexible?

Deacon Mark

That is a too general question. Are you looking for some specific feature.. Steel is cheap, everyone with some kind of braze skills can make one and the tools are cheap to do so and at the time they were popular it was the only practical material available. There is no magic about steel or any other material.

Lou

I just want to know about ride characteristics. Just like frames such as AL tend to be a but harsh I don't like them. The better ones are ok but I still prefer the CF or my Ti frame. I know steel is a nice ride but not quite as stiff as TI or CF. I figure forks are the same. Most have CF forks because I assume they handle bumpy roads better with less vibration. Myself I just have horrible nightmares of the AL frame I had once it just not great unless road smooth. I figure if steel was great more of them would be used but seems not. Even a TI fork for instances. I guess I am asking in general ride character of forks themselves not frames, realizing they are paired though.
Deacon Mark