Old December 21st 04, 08:20 AM
Lou Holtman

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in
message m...

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message
Derk wrote:
Hi,

Some time ago I mentioned I feared I suffered from overtraining

syndrome.
Today I found out my specialized floor pump only inflated my tires to

2
bar,
whilst 7 bar was shown on the meter. I never checked the tire

manually,
since I trusted the pump....

Boy, what a difference: I managed to get an average of 31.8 km/h in

spite of
0 degree Celcius temperature.

Greets, Derk

Now I can't take you serious any more
2 bar... yeah right.

How is that at all unbelievable?

Because cornering with 2 bar in a 23 mm road tire is awful and any
experience rider, like Derk, should notice that, specially when you are
doing 31 km/hr average. The difference with 7 bar is huge. When you hit a
(minor) hole with 2 bar you almost certain you get a snakebite flat.

My road bike has a slow leak in the front that takes about a week to drop
60psi down from 130. During that time, I ride it to class each day, and

the
gradual softening effect is completely transparent to me. When it gets

down
to about 30 or 20psi, I notice it and stop being lazy and pump it back up

130. The first ride after pumping it back up is like a new experience for
me. This has been going on for about 2 months now, and it's still a

little
surprising each time. I'm 135lbs, and 700x23.

That's another thing I don't understand. Why don't you pop on a new inner
tube or patch the thing? I ride with latex inner tubes and have to pump my
tire before EVERY ride. When I forget to do that, after the first corner I
notice (they drop to 4 bar overnight) and return home to pump the tire up.

Lou