Old February 15th 07, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Thomson

Default Pros and cons of mechanical vs hydraulic disc brakes?

"Duncan Smith" a écrit:

I was thinking of mounting a more conventional mtb style
lever on the bottom of the drop bars (near where the bar
end plug goes).

A bit like this guy's got (except he's got bull bars not drop
bars, but same thing I reckon..)

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006/nov/JasonElias.htm

Any tips for a suitable lever? - my drop bars are over-sized
apparently.

Generally when drop bars are referred to as oversized, the oversized part is
the stem clamp - 31.8mm or thereabouts.

Most drop bars have a diameter of around 15/16" (23.8mm) in the part to
which the brake levers clamp. That's far enough from the straight bar
standard of 7/8" (22.2mm) that mountain bike levers don't work well on drop
bars. It's sometimes possible to bodge the clamp, but it's generally not a
nice solution.

The lever in the picture is a Tektro cross lever, designed to be used as a
secondary lever on drops (and therefore with a 23.8mm clamp), and the Avid
mechanical brake is the only one I know of that comes in a version designed
to work with drop bar cable pull.

What gear controls are you currently using? Will you want to keep your brake
hoods?

James Thomson