Old February 15th 07, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

Default Pros and cons of mechanical vs hydraulic disc brakes?

The lever in the picture is a Tektro cross lever, designed to be used as a
secondary lever on drops (and therefore with a 23.8mm clamp), and the Avid
mechanical brake is the only one I know of that comes in a version designed
to work with drop bar cable pull.

What gear controls are you currently using? Will you want to keep your brake
hoods?

Thanks James, that's good info.. Looks like the Tektro lever with the
avid mech. brakes would be a good combo. Do you have a link to the
avid brakes designed to work with the lever?

My bike's a fixie so no gear controls to worry about!

The brake hoods is a good question - I don't usually run a rear brake,
though I may change my mind after tuesday's ride in the wet... I use
them for pulling up on when climbing hills a lot though. It would be
tidier if I could remove the levers from the hoods, but they don't
seem designed to be removed easily (Tektro). Maybe you can buy some
hoods without levers...?

Thanks,

Duncan.