Old November 8th 04, 09:40 PM
B. Lafferty

"Sierraman" wrote in message

80 is true for me. After the first 70 to 80 was mental and physical
challenge, but after that the last 20 is like gliding on air. I feel
nothing. Not true however if the last 20 are uphill. Since the old
climbing
legs aren't as good as they used to be and also my heart is more tired as
well if I have to climb the last 20, as I can really feel it. I suppose
the
Death Valley riders know this quite well. I have never been any good over
100 miles. I got a buddy that keeps wanting to drag me off on a double.
He's
got knee trouble now, you guys can keep those doubles!

Having never run (nor do I ever intend to run) a marathon, I would compare
that event to a double century rather than a century. Doing doubles, I've
found that physically the last 15 miles is the most difficult.
Psychologically, there is a dead zone for me from about 130 miles to 180
miles. At 130, you've already done a metric double that keep you in mental
anticipation. Now you have nothing for nearly another 3/4 of a century. It
can be depressing. That said, the pain from pounding ones joints for 20+
miles must be far more physically destructive than riding for 200.