Old January 26th 04, 08:17 AM
Howard Kveck

Default WC Cyclocross 2004 picks

In article ,
"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote:

"Howard Kveck" wrote in message

Sure, you could make those (if they're similar to the ones I've seen on
other bikes - it is a replaceable bolt on bit, right?) on a manual mill.
You can do a lot with a mill and a grinder. But I'd still rather CNC them.
You can draw the piece and make a program in a few minutes, set up the
tools and machine and make a few in a big hurry.

snip

What sort of machine you use?

The shop I work at has a few Mori Seiki VMCs and some smaller ones by
Fanuc, and we have a couple of horizontals, too. We also have a few CNC
lathes. The thing is I've been running that stuff long enough that I tend
to still use them for manual type work. They have dials that you can use to
crank the table over to where you want or I'll just write a quick program
that tells it where to go. When I started out in the trade, we didn't have
a CAD/CAM setup that everyone could use so I had to learn to do things at
the machine with a calculator and some trig formulas.

And program? Solidworks?

We use Mastercam. I haven't spent a lot of time doing 3D stuff (because
it isn't called for that often on the parts we make), and that's one of
those things where if you don't do it on a regular basis, you forget the
tricks that make it easy. That's one of the complaints I have with this
job: the parts we do aren't particularly interesting or challenging to me.

--
tanx,
Howard

"I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my lips!"
Homer Simpson

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?