Old January 15th 21, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Does Slow Johnny still pull the wings off flies

On Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 3:58:27 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/14/2021 6:04 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I suspect that the next translation of the bible will be into text
message abbreviations and acronyms, which is the common language of
todays youth:
https://www.webopedia.com/reference/text-message-abbreviations/

Long ago I read a science fiction novel (probably by Heinlein) that
featured some sort of secret society. As I recall, to be inducted one
needed a high degree of intelligence; but once inducted, trainees
learned a new language, one that was heavily abbreviated. The claim was
that we think by internal use of language, so learning a language whose
information was very dense (in terms of ideas per syllable) allowed much
faster processing of data - i.e. faster and more efficient thinking.

So maybe these "kids these days" will carry us forward into a brave new
world where all our problems will be quickly solved! (LOL!)

When young I admired Heinlein's books but over time imagination was pretty much all they have turned out to be. Making a language expressed in much larger and more complex manner doesn't seem to have slowed the Japanese or Chinese in the least. Though they have to use many forms of trying to supplant what we do without thought in English with "inflection" such as read and read. (past tense.)