Old October 28th 03, 03:02 PM
Matt O'Toole

Default Carbon frame intregrity after accident

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message

jhartwig- I had an accident in which a car pulled across my path. I struck
the
passenger rear quarter panel and flew over the car, taking the bike halfway
across the trunk. The fork was slightly bent (can be straightened), and
front wheel was badly warped. The frame is a ~1995 Trek 2300 with carbon
main tubes bonded to aluminum lugs. The carbon tubes look physically fine.
One bike shop states there is the risk of internal damage, and I should
consider replacing the frame. Another shop states the frame is fine,
straighten the fork, and replace the front wheel.

I have been unable to ride the bike due to a healing shoulder, so I cannot
comment on how it feels. Should I be concerned?

yes, no way to tell if the carbon tubes are 'bruised' and may crack/fail w/o
noyice. carbon is wonderful but when in an accident like yours, you cannot
really tell if the tubes are compromised.

Peter is right, there really is no sure way to tell, w/o X-ray equipment (which
is what aerospace and race car folks use).

But you can extrapolate that damage is likely. Look at it this way -- the fork
was bent. Any impact that great on a modern lightweight steel or aluminum frame
will usually damage the frame too -- buckling or cracking the top and down
tubes. Carbon frames are generally designed for the same stresses, and to be as
lightweight as possible. So it's likely they're not that much stronger than a
3.5 LB steel frame or 3 LB aluminum one.

I'd replace the thing. You already have one shop's word, so you shouldn't have
too much trouble getting the guy's insurance to pay for it. You have nothing to
lose. Why even take the risk?

Matt O.