Old February 12th 18, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Battery Replacement on Lights with Internal Li-Ion Batteries

On 2018-02-12 07:56, sms wrote:

The key to getting more people out on bicycles is to promote equipment
that allows them to ride to work or school in normal clothes, and
provide routes that make the ride practical.

Amen! Many people do not understand this and that includes a lot here in
the NG.

Because it is mostly enthusiasts in the NG. We need to understand how
normal people think sic.

This place is crawling with normal people on bikes, particularly on a dry day.
I was totally miserable in bike traffic this morning.

I don't think any of the normal people I rode with this morning had DRLs -- maybe a few. I wasn't paying attention. Most of the normal people I ride with would laugh at needing a 1000 lumen light to ride in broad daylight -- or any light. It's the serious, non-normal cyclists who are convinced they need special DRLs.

Look for DRLS: https://bikeportland.org/2011/06/22/...r-photos-55300 I think I saw some blinkies.

https://bikeportland.org/2013/05/06/...e-design-86376 -- one guy in a safety vest.

What gets these people on bikes is sunshine, a Bohemian culture, some on-street bike lanes and close-in neighborhoods. Maybe traffic calming on some of the bike boulevards, but people were using those before they were designated boulevards.

-- Jay Beattie.