Old August 20th 18, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Flat repair

On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 8:52:25 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 8:03:40 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 11:14:13 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
I had to repair a flat. Have some questions.

Is it best to apply patch to a completly flat tube?

I found a small copper wire in tire.

Is there something to minimize what can puncture tire?

Thanks

I posted three or four messages yesterday about SMS's ridiculous postings. I got emails saying that my messages weren't posted. I found that interesting since I didn't cuss him out or anything - I only posted youtube proof that even racing teams are changing to tubeless tires. That you can't get a flat on a road tubeless unless you totally destroy the tire which would render a tube tire useless as well. One of those videos even showed that rolling resistance went down with reductions of pressure as the pavement gets progressively bumpier. Oh well, I suppose sms can use his 20 mm tires at 8 bar on his commuter.

Uh, remember buying that new set of tubeless ready wheels? SMS is not going to rush out to buy a new set of wheels to upgrade to an expensive new standard for probably imperceptible benefits, unless he has a big problem with flats. I mean really . . .$28 just for valves? https://tinyurl.com/yay7xos5 And the tires are grossly over-priced too, with no discount market yet.. I was talking to my son this morning about getting some tubeless tires on pro deal, and his response was "O.K., but why?" My explanation was, "hey, I just wanted to try them on my tubeless ready rims." My Pro4s and a light tube work fine, and they were cheap, but if I can get a tire deal, I'll give it a whirl. My son gets a killer deal on Conti, but alas, they don't make a tubeless road tire and neither does Michelin. I'll have to leaf through the QBP catalog.

-- Jay Beattie.

I completely agree with you but I build new bikes often enough that it is something to plan for on a new build. I just think that it is pointless to argue that they don't do what all the tests show they accomplish.