Old July 10th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing

Default Steel frames and le Tour

On Jul 9, 4:38*pm, bfd wrote:
On Jul 7, 11:22*am, wrote:

Anyone know the last year a steel frame was used by a racing cyclist
in the TdF?

Not sure about the TdF, but here's the last steel frame to win any
kind of championship:

http://www.bikespecialties.com/site/peloton4.html

Btw, that's Dede Barry's 2002 world cup steel frame with carbon fork.
Here's her description of it:

"I wanted a steel bike, for durability and strength, with the vintage
Mariposa lugs. He ordered the lightest steel available, pieced it
together with the lugs, placed a lightweight, stiff carbon fork on it
and painted the whole bike, including the stem and fork, light and
royal blue. We chose Campagnolo components and he had it all built up
for me in two weeks, just in time to get dialed in on it before the
race."

Thanks. That's a gorgeous bike. Love that color-coordinated stem.